ARSCLIST  August 2011

ARSCLIST August 2011

Re: digital input sound card recommendation

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:46:22 -0400

Hi David:

That's a real bummer. Those are my front-line ADC's too.

There has been much progress in recent years with external ADC's. However, I keep reading articles
and papers about the USB connection not being ideal due to jitter and latency issues. And yet,
firewire keeps getting de-emphasized by hardware manufacturers. I'm also not sure what role video
circuitry plays in a modern Windows system. Even thru XP, there was some interaction between digital
audio and the video subsystem, I'm not expert enough to discuss details but there are articles and
white papers out there.

If you're doing your analog-to-digital conversion externally and then "recording" an AES/EBU stream,
it seems like you could use a very simple interface, but again I'm not sure how much clocking and
latency matter in that setup.

I've had some CardDeluxe cards since 1999 and they still work fine. Why not just recycle them as you
upgrade computers, or are you building out more workstations and now need a new way to skin the cat?

-- Tom Fine