Re: 45 groove size

Roger Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:50:33 -0700

I do know there are people,like West-Tech,Larry at the site I linked to,and a couple others,who can retrofitthe old ceramic cartridges with more modern needles.

Roger

________________________________
From: Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 45 groove size

-----Original Message-----
From Steven Smolian: "...I'm about to install a RCA 45 player in the "45
Corner" of the shop.

I'm leaning toward putting in a cartridge with a .5 mil point.  That should
protect the .5 mil grooves from being damaged by the device's usual 1 mil
stylus and allow ok if not ideal sound from the older records.  It will also
cancel all vertical noise. .."

I sure wouldn't play any valuable 45s on one of those because of the arm
design. A smaller stylus really won't offer better protection.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com