ARSCLIST  August 2011

ARSCLIST August 2011

Re: Presto tape

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 02:55:19 -0400

I have a feeling that the sticker might be a U.S. military
identification of the contract number for this style of tape. I have a
carton of recording wires with similar info on each otherwise plain
box.  In addition to disc recording machines and recording discs, Presto
made tape recorders for the military in the 1950s, similar to but not
identical to their civilian professional machines. Three speed full
track mono taking 10 1/2inch reels..  When I arrived here in 1978 there
were scads of thesemachines all across campus -- someone had gotten a
huge buy at some military surplus sale back in the 60s.  I have the last
one that was still working and a couple of extra decks and amps.  Presto
probably also had a contract to supply tape to the military, but I know
they didn't manufacture the tape themselves.  Interesting artifact and
I'd give ten bucks, but certainly not 150!!

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]