ARSCLIST  September 2011

ARSCLIST September 2011

Re: Is this copyright violation on a large scale?

Eric J Harbeson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:00:50 -0600

Bob,

Did you mean to say that fair use was passed by Congress at the request of the RIAA, or is there another exemption you're referring to?  To the contrary, the development of fair use has never had much to do with Congress (or the RIAA)-it was court-created doctrine which was codified by Congress in the 1976 act.  The doctrine preceded both the statute and the RIAA by more than a century.  I also take issue with your statement that it is categorically not a fair use to copy a commercial recording; with a transformative enough use, for example, a court may well find a fair use under the law, though for commercial recordings the defendant has a much higher burden to make the defense.  And though it may be widely assumed, I know of no instance where a court has found that a person is liable for loading a CD into their computer for personal, local use only (I'd welcome a cite, if anyone has one).

That said, I agree with you on the present case.  Though the concept of the music locker service is still not settled legally (there is case law both in support and opposition, though it seems tilted toward the latter right now), I think Murfie's implementation of the concept will land them in pretty hot water over its implementation of the concept, especially now that they've had such prominent exposure.  For one thing, the fact that Murfie is not taking any reasonably effective measures to ensure that files are deleted once the ownership of the disc is "sold" (other than telling the customer to agree to it, presumably on her honor) will make their case very weak.  Also, the fact that Murfie, and not the customer, is doing the copying will open them up to direct liability for infringement which others (Google, Amazon) have so far been able to avoid.

All of this is assuming post-1972 recordings, of course...

Cheers,
Eric Harbeson
Assistant Professor
Music Special Collections Librarian