DATETIME September 2011

specification review, continued

Syd Bauman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Sep 2011 18:40:39 -0400

201
---
* "The characters '?' and '~' apply either to the entire portion of
  the string to their left, unless": but they don't apply to the
  entire *string* to their left, only to the *date*, *time*, or
  *dateTime*, right? (See 103 and 205.)

* "immediately preceded by ... left parentheses;or" should be
  reworded to "immediately preceded by a right parenthesis, in which
  case they apply to the portion of the string delimited by that
  right parenthesis and its corresponding left parentheses; or"

* "another component of ... of that component.": there are no
  examples of this, which makes me nervous. Does it mean that the "~"
  in (2011)-06-04~ only applies to the "-06-04" part?

* "'?' and '~' apply to a year, month, day, year-month, month-day, or
  year-month-day. ...": why on earth would they not be applicable to
  the hour, minute, second, hour-minute, minute-second, or
  hour-minute-second?

202
---
OK, take back what I said in my second bullet point about 102. :-)

203
---
The "Of" of the feature should be "of".

"Square braces wrap ..." should be "Square brackets wrap ...".

2041
----
What is the difference between masked precision and unspecified? If
y'all have already hashed the need for both of these out, you don't
need to repeat it for me (just drop it or point me to the
conversation). But the fact that it occurs to me as a question means
the document should be more explicit about the difference.

It may be useful to express these as equivalents of some sort:
 196x = 1960-01-01/1969-12-31
or whatever.

207
---
This seems a bit silly to me. The "yyyy-mm-dd" pattern makes no sense
in some other calendars.

208
---
As I've said before, I think 104 should be moved here to L2, or,
better by far, both 104 and 208 should be dropped. A reasonable use
case for years > 4 digits is *extremely* rare, and is completely
impossible in bibliography.

209
---
This, along with 207 and most of the possible future features, should
probably be avoided. It is important to have a standard that is
nuanced enough to represent that which librarians need to represent.
But added complexity makes it harder, and thus less likely, the
standard will be implemented. Trying to allow for a formalized
representation of "Spring semester" so that Universities have it easy
is at best not helpful, and at worst counter productive.

overall
-------
I presume that whitespace is not permitted in any of these notations.
(I.e., "[2011-01-01,2011-02-14,2011-03-15,2011-04-01,2011-07-07,
2011-04-07]" is invalid due to the newline between San Fermin and
Independence Day.) Either way, though, the document should be
explicit and say that whitespace is or is not allowed.