MODS Archives

MODS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

MODS Home

MODS  October 2011

MODS October 2011

Re: xlink namespace in MODS schema

"Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:12:33 -0400

If we find a need to change the XLink schema  (not necessarily for the issue
at hand, but for any reason) and it is a change that would require an
associated change to schemas that use the XLink schema (which is the case
for the issue at hand), then I think we would NOT try to coordinate the
change for all of those schemas. Rather, if for example the change is for a
MODS issue, we would create a separate XLink schema for MODS, change the
MODS schema, and all other schemas would be unaffected.  Then, each of those
schemas could independently do the same thing (create temporary separate
XLink schemas and change the base schema) at their own pace. Once they have
all done that  - if indeed they all choose to do so - then we could make the
change to the original schema and they could all go back to using it, and
all discard the temporary schemas, agains each at their own pace.

However the latter part assumes (1) that all agree to the change, and (2)
that every schema that uses the LC XLink schema has been identified. (I was
not aware, for example, of the ALTO schema usage. For that matter I did not
even realize that EAD uses it.)

So as I said earlier I am not yet convinced that there is any need for a
change, but if there is, we would use this local approach rather than try to
coordinate a change among multiple schemas.

--Ray