BIBFRAME November 2011

Re: What the data tells us

Kathy Glennan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:50:00 -0500

text/plain

Karen-

Does the following spreadsheet for the combined BSRs help: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/bibco/bsr_cmb_tbl_20110617a.pdf  ?

Kathy Glennan
Head, Special Resources Cataloging / Music Cataloger
University of Maryland

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] What the data tells us

Ooof! If these were in a spreadsheet format (or tabbed text) it would be easy to see what fields they have in common. Also, it would be helpful to describe them in other than MARC terms. For example, the Books one has ISBN, the serials one ISSN, and both of these are covered by the RDA "identifier for the Manifestation" which not only covers them both but allows other useful identifiers to be input.
Also, Date1 and Date2 are MARC designations but have a bunch of different meanings depending on the date code.

I always seem to end up at the need to figure out what's really in MARC:
    http://futurelib.pbworks.com/w/page/29114548/MARC%20elements

kc

--
Karen Coyle