BIBFRAME November 2011

Re: post-MARC design principles

Ivan Herman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:53:04 +0100

On Nov 10, 2011, at 15:10 , Stephen Paul Davis wrote:

> Folks:
>
> An important design feature for the next generation bibliographic framework will be "catalog code neutrality".  Discussons about "main entry, yes or no" should probably be left to the cataloging folks; the new framework should theoretically support any approach.
>
> Attempting to restrict the new framework to a reduced element set will probably be a non-starter a) since Dublin Core already exists, and b) since each and every data element in MARC has been championed over time and declared vital by some group or other.  Rather than setting ourselves the task of winnowing up front, it would be wise to explore a data dictionary approach and a robust element relationship framing / grouping mechanism.   Within the new framework various interest groups should be free to define "profiles" (as has been the case, e.g., with METS, although ideally more persuasively) that represent different catalog codes, best practices, consortial agreements, etc.
>
> BTW - I understand that W3C and others have recognized that the RDF triples approach in fact lacks two important parameters that will need to be defined before we go much further, namely namespace and provenance. So we'll  need "quintuples" instead of triples ;}  (I'd like to hear more about this from W3C.)

Well, yes an no...

The RDF community and, more specifically, the RDF Working Group, has to come to grip with the notion of named graphs. Simply put, there should be a way to consider a set of triples and identify that set with a URI. Obviously, the devil is in the details and, in this case, this is a really nasty devil. But that is currently the main focus of the Working Group. I am not sure, but I have the impression that this is what you meant by 'namespaces'.

Once this is somehow settled, the general framework can be used to attach, eg, provenance information to a graph. You need a vocabulary for that so that such provenance would be interoperable; there is a separate Working Group, called, surprisingly, the Provenance Working Group:-), doing just like that.

So we are not talking about quintuples. You can look at the named graphs as quads (that is the way many system implement them) but that is only an implementation detail for now. Once that is done, that URI for the set is the hook where you can add, for example, provenance...

Cheers

Ivan

> David Weinberger in his keynote at the recent DLF Forum expressed the view that the two most important innovations in our field recently are linked data and namespaces, the latter because, he believes, we can no longer impose single, broad-based schemas on the information world and must give in to the idea that we will increasingly and always have multiple, competing schemas and metadata standards.  The challenge then will be to build and maintain effective crosswalks.
> Stephen Paul Davis
> Director, Libraries Digital Program
> Columbia University Libraries
> 535 W. 114th Street, New York, NY  10027
> email: [log in to unmask]  phone:  (212) 854-8584

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153