ID@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ID Home

ID  November 2011

ID November 2011

Re: Linking LCSH

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Authorities and Vocabularies Service Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:41:09 -0500

Dear Owen,

> Absolutely - just what we needed (I know you note the docs need
> updating, but did I just miss this previously?)
-- The docs need updating.  You didn't miss anything.

> I'd also suggest that being able to search aLabel and vLabel in a
> single index would be useful.
-- I'll look into it.  I've started down this road at one point in the past, but it fell off the radar.

> On a slightly different note, is it possible to search for an exact
> match via the web interface?
-- Placing your search terms in quotes will search for an exact match on the phrase.  Otherwise, you can use

aLabel:"Draft animals"

or

vLabel:"Draught animals"

Caveat: the HTML search page/box is not perfectly programmed to deal with these "special" query parameters at this time.  The "special" query parameter (e.g. vLabel:"Draught animals") gets passed to future queries.  So, enter

vLabel:"Draught animals"

in the search box.  After you get the results (there should be one hit), search for "cars".  You won't get any hits for "cars" - though there should be many pages of hits - because vLabel:"Draught animals" has been quietly passed along and it is being included in the search for "cars".

HTH,

Kevin