ID@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ID Home

ID  November 2011

ID November 2011

Re: Linking LCSH

"Ford, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

Authorities and Vocabularies Service Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:00:36 -0500

Dear Owen,

> I'd tried the example given
> on http://id.loc.gov/techcenter/searching.html which
> is http://id.loc.gov/authorities/label/orchids. This does not work.
> However http://id.loc.gov/authorities/label/Orchids does.
-- We'll get the documentation fixed.  Thanks for finding this.  And, yes, the label search is case-sensitive.

As for your remaining two comments: yes, it's imperfect.  (And, FWIW, let me state unequivocally, that we need to spend some time augmenting the documentation, especially since this summer when we made a few changes.)

I could suggest that you use the "subjects" specific label service.  That pattern would be:

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/label/{term}

However, that solution won't quite solve the problem (though it will ensure that all matching concepts come from LCSH, so you won't get the NAF hit).

In any event, your email - thanks for writing, by the way - provides us with a Use Case: augment the label service to distinguish between Authorized Headings and Subdivisions.

Read on, however, because another possibility might mean that augmenting the label service is unnecessary or at least not urgent. Another way to accomplish this - and one that I've used in the past - is to perform a straight-forward search and use the Atom-formatted results.  There are a few indices in the database that will enable you to perform the types of queries you'd like (see above: we need to document these).

For the Authorized Heading for "Science" in LCSH you could do:

http://id.loc.gov/search/?q=aLabel%3AScience+memberOf%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fid.loc.gov%2Fauthorities%2Fsubjects%2Fcollection_LCSHAuthorizedHeadings&format=atom

For the Subdivision of "Research" you'd search:

http://id.loc.gov/search/?q=aLabel%3AResearch+memberOf%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fid.loc.gov%2Fauthorities%2Fsubjects%2Fcollection_Subdivisions&format=atom

The relevant query parameters are:

aLabel (which is short-hand for the authorized label)
memberOf (which is short-hand for collections)

For the "Science," the params are:

aLabel:Science
memberOf:http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/collection_LCSHAuthorizedHeadings

Note, label searches are case-sensitive and if the searched-for term is a variant it won't be found (there is a vLabel index).

Would this get you closer to your goal?

Warmly,

Kevin