ARSCLIST  December 2011

ARSCLIST December 2011

Re: Straight Line Tracking was Stanton Turntable reviews....anyone?

Ted Kendall <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:45:14 +0000

On 21/12/2011 10:16, Don Cox wrote:
> On 20/12/2011, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>
>> Because it's a mono record?
>>
>> On 2011-12-20 10:55 AM, Don Cox wrote:
>>> Yes, but why would anyone want to create a mono sum of the signals?
> Since I first bought a stereo record player, I have always listened to
> mono records in stereo. There never seemed to be any improvement in the
> sound when the channels are mixed.
>
> And it is much easier for the brain to disregard surface noise when the
> noise is spread across the whole width from speaker to speaker and the
> music is located in the centre.
>
> In principle, mixing the channels should reduce the noise by about one decibel
> (the noise in stereo will be 1.414 times the noise in mono), but the
> disadvantage of losing spatial separation makes this hardly worth while.
>
> In my opinion.
>
> Regards
It isn't a question of surface noise alone, but cancellation of pinch
effect distortion. This is primarily even harmonic and therefore fairly
inoffensive, but it rises as the fourth power of the recorded amplitude
and can become significant.