Re: Getting glue off vinyl

Dan Nelson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:51:15 -0800

If there is any styrene in the vinyl
WATCH OUT for goo-gone!!!

If there is any styrene in the vinyl compound  it will be dissolved and the record is history.
Many of the pressing plants used  styrene as a filler to reduce the  amount of virgin vinyl. It also  looks like a higher polished surface to the eye.
I would try just plain  mineral oil..... most glues are petroleum based and mineral oil is a good solvent that will not hurt most surfaces.
dnw

________________________________
 From: James Roth <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Getting glue off vinyl

Thank you all,

I have quite a few of those sticky records.
Maybe I'll try each method and let you know which worked best.
I have something called Un-Do. The label says it's good for vinyl.
Maybe I'll try that too.

I myself have tried taking a piece of frosty scotch tape, pressing it to the sticky surface and pulling it off after a few seconds.
It got some of the stuff, but not all.  That's where I'll need to try those different formulas.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Ben Roth