99% IPA - we like Techspray® - works great for most stuff. Regular Q-tips
are ok on these open reel machines.
For what it's worth, the ne plus ultra is meant to be Precision Motor Works'
"Head, Red, and Roll" special cleaning formula.
On 1/17/12 11:57 AM, "Malcolm Rockwell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello Gregorio -
> I never use it. 100% Methyl alcohol can be purchased at the drug store,
> too, but you may have to ask for it.
> If the isopropyl alcohol 80% alcohol then the remaining 20% is water,
> and that's not good!
> Don't ever use denatured alcohol.
> On 1/17/2012 6:10 AM, Shai Drori wrote:
>> Hi Gregorio
>> I have been using IPA for 33 years without a problem. You can get it
>> at any drug store.
>> On 17/01/12 17:24, Gregorio Garcia Karman wrote:
>>> Dear list.
>>> I need some advice on cleaning the heads of two Studer A67 and B67
>>> machines. The recommendations I have received from two different
>>> professionals are:
>>> - Isopropilic alcohol 99 %
>>> - A mix of 89 % xylene, 11% Tricholoethane.
>>> I have found some denaturalized alcohol from a colleague from the
>>> conservation department of a museum nextdoor or 80% isopropilic
>>> alcohol from Maplin. The easiest would be to stick to one of the
>>> latter, but I am looking for the professional solution and don't want
>>> to make compromises. Moreover, a number of tapes in the collection
>>> are dirty and I suspect that a number of them will be shedding, so I
>>> expect to be doing a lot of cleaning.
>>> Apologies if is has been asked before, but I did some searching but
>>> could not find a response in the archives.
>>> Huge thanks and cheers
>>> Gregorio Garcia Karman
>>> [log in to unmask]
Serif Sound ♬ CD Premastering
➣ Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disc