ARSCLIST  January 2012

ARSCLIST January 2012

Re: Travel plans for Rochester

"Farrington, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:11:28 -0500

I am, perhaps, somewhat partisan, but I don't find Rochester (my home
since 1998, and with family here a place that I have been coming to my
whole life) "mean" nor "ragged" (whatever that might mean). In many
recent U.S.-rankings (Forbes, Money, ABC, etc.), Rochester has been
rated in the top 5 places to raise a family or simply to live. Like any
metropolitan area, there are pockets of crime, but they are very
localized today.

The question of whether to land in NY and drive or to continue flying to
ROC all depends on what kinds of things you might want to see along the
way. As noted, close to Rochester, through the Finger Lakes region, we
have dozens of wineries, and often quaint villages nearby, but that's
really a daytrip (or 2 or 3) from Rochester itself. Similarly, Niagara
Falls is but a daytrip away (a little more than an hour). We are
currently exploring the possibility of offering a Niagara Falls tour
excursion as a post-conference option, if there will be enough interest.

Farther away from Rochester, if antiquing is your idea of fun, the NY
Rte. 5/20 corridor parallels the NYS Thruway and extends from the Albany
area west (see http://www.routes5and20.com/thingstodo.cfm?cat=antiques).
If traveling through the Albany area, you might find of interest the
Nipper still visible from the top of the old RTA building
(http://www.squidoo.com/nipper). I'm sure someone on this list can say
whether or not it's the largest extant Nipper or not. On your way west
from Albany you can make a sidetrip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in
Cooperstown (another lovely town in its own right with plenty of good
eats).

If taking the southern route through Binghamton, and across I-86, there
is interest to be found in Watkins Glen (especially if you are into
either waterfalls or auto racing) and Corning, home to the Corning
Museum of Glass (http://cmog.org), the Rockwell Museum of Western Art
(http://www.rockwellmuseum.org/), and several nice restaurants--I seem
to keep coming back to that.

Here in Rochester, if you enjoy flowers and parks we will be in the
heart of the Lilac Festival (http://www.lilacfestival.com/) at the
historic Highland Park. As mentioned, we are home to a AAA baseball
team, the Red Wings (http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t534, affiliate
of the Minnesota Twins), and they will be hosting the Louisville Bats
the week of the conference. Tickets are cheap ($12 is the most expensive
seat in the stadium, and it's a very nice stadium). We also have an
excellent soccer team, the Rhinos (http://www.rhinossoccer.com/), who
will be playing the Dayton Dutch Lions that Friday. Among other area
attractions are the Strong Museum of Play/Toy Hall of Fame/Butterfly
Garden (http://www.museumofplay.org/, ask Steve Ramm how much he enjoyed
it--they have an Edison doll on display), the George Eastman House
(http://geh.org), the Genesee Village and Country Museum
(http://www.gcv.org/, numerous restored 19th century buildings,
including now a brewhouse, plus gardens, etc.), the Susan B. Anthony
home (http://susanbanthonyhouse.org/index.php), and lots of other things
that I will eventually write up and put on the local arrangements
website (in the meantime, refer to http://www.visitrochester.com).

There are two particularly good used record shops in town, the Bop Shop
that's been mentioned several times on this list, and Record Archive
(http://www.recordarchive.com/).

If you fly into NY you can usually get cheap flights from JFK to ROC via
JetBlue. It's also worth noting here that the Radisson Hotel provides
complementary transportation to/from both the airport and train station.

More details to follow as they become available.

Jim Farrington
Local Arrangements Chair
ARSC 2012