ARSCLIST  January 2012

ARSCLIST January 2012

Re: Travel plans for Rochester

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:44:15 -0500

Isn't there a Moog Museum in Trumansville, near Ithica?

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Farrington, Jim
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 11:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Travel plans for Rochester

I am, perhaps, somewhat partisan, but I don't find Rochester (my home since
1998, and with family here a place that I have been coming to my whole life)
"mean" nor "ragged" (whatever that might mean). In many recent U.S.-rankings
(Forbes, Money, ABC, etc.), Rochester has been rated in the top 5 places to
raise a family or simply to live. Like any metropolitan area, there are
pockets of crime, but they are very localized today.

The question of whether to land in NY and drive or to continue flying to ROC
all depends on what kinds of things you might want to see along the way. As
noted, close to Rochester, through the Finger Lakes region, we have dozens
of wineries, and often quaint villages nearby, but that's really a daytrip
(or 2 or 3) from Rochester itself. Similarly, Niagara Falls is but a daytrip
away (a little more than an hour). We are currently exploring the
possibility of offering a Niagara Falls tour excursion as a post-conference
option, if there will be enough interest.

Farther away from Rochester, if antiquing is your idea of fun, the NY Rte.
5/20 corridor parallels the NYS Thruway and extends from the Albany area
west (see http://www.routes5and20.com/thingstodo.cfm?cat=antiques).
If traveling through the Albany area, you might find of interest the Nipper
still visible from the top of the old RTA building
(http://www.squidoo.com/nipper). I'm sure someone on this list can say
whether or not it's the largest extant Nipper or not. On your way west from
Albany you can make a sidetrip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown
(another lovely town in its own right with plenty of good eats).

If taking the southern route through Binghamton, and across I-86, there is
interest to be found in Watkins Glen (especially if you are into either
waterfalls or auto racing) and Corning, home to the Corning Museum of Glass
(http://cmog.org), the Rockwell Museum of Western Art
(http://www.rockwellmuseum.org/), and several nice restaurants--I seem to
keep coming back to that.

Here in Rochester, if you enjoy flowers and parks we will be in the heart of
the Lilac Festival (http://www.lilacfestival.com/) at the historic Highland
Park. As mentioned, we are home to a AAA baseball team, the Red Wings
(http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t534, affiliate of the Minnesota Twins),
and they will be hosting the Louisville Bats the week of the conference.
Tickets are cheap ($12 is the most expensive seat in the stadium, and it's a
very nice stadium). We also have an excellent soccer team, the Rhinos
(http://www.rhinossoccer.com/), who will be playing the Dayton Dutch Lions
that Friday. Among other area attractions are the Strong Museum of Play/Toy
Hall of Fame/Butterfly Garden (http://www.museumofplay.org/, ask Steve Ramm
how much he enjoyed it--they have an Edison doll on display), the George
Eastman House (http://geh.org), the Genesee Village and Country Museum
(http://www.gcv.org/, numerous restored 19th century buildings, including
now a brewhouse, plus gardens, etc.), the Susan B. Anthony home
(http://susanbanthonyhouse.org/index.php), and lots of other things that I
will eventually write up and put on the local arrangements website (in the
meantime, refer to http://www.visitrochester.com).

There are two particularly good used record shops in town, the Bop Shop
that's been mentioned several times on this list, and Record Archive
(http://www.recordarchive.com/).

If you fly into NY you can usually get cheap flights from JFK to ROC via
JetBlue. It's also worth noting here that the Radisson Hotel provides
complementary transportation to/from both the airport and train station.

More details to follow as they become available.

Jim Farrington
Local Arrangements Chair
ARSC 2012