ARSCLIST  January 2012

ARSCLIST January 2012

Re: Dolby Plugin

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:56:17 -0500

I agree that this is proper procedure, always better not to D-A/A-D if possible. Consider it more
direct signal chain -- original tape>Dolby decoder>A-D converter.

However, I think the original poster said he did not have the original tape on hand, in which case
the only good option is -- D-A converter>Dolby decoder>A-D converter.

For what it's worth, I've experimented with both methods, using nothing too fancy, just my DAL
CardDeluxe interfaces. There are slight audible differences, but they are subtle, to my ears. I
can't say one sounds "better" than the other because they are so similar. It's possible that the
tape>Dolby>ADC method sounds slightly more "open" but it's really a subtle difference. Conversion
was done at 96/24 both ways. This is not a clearly audible difference, like between a 7.5IPS
quarter-track tape and the same material recorded at the same time on a 15IPS 2-track tape, or
between an LP and a master tape.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Dolby Plugin

Reads as if it's time for a fresh tape to ADC transfer with the Dolby in
line.  Even using very good converters (e.g., Lavry Gold] in double
signal-jacking [D/A/D] mode is counter-indicated unless you must do that to
use some outboard analog processing.   If you have the tape, you don't have
to do that.  It should not have been transferred without Dolby decoding.

Andrew

--
Serif Sound ♬ CD Premastering
➣ Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disc