Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  February 2012

BIBFRAME February 2012

Re: The German National Library's response

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Feb 2012 06:53:50 -0500

On 2/6/12 10:34 AM, Huwig,Steve wrote:

> While it's generally more helpful to have readable URIs than to have
> machine-generated ones, I think that effort expended to standardize URI
> construction won't be very effective. Naming and organizational
> conventions in one culture or system will likely not translate well to
> different cultures or systems.

I actually wasn't thinking about readable v. opaque URIs, but that is
one topic for best practices. In my experience, you get loud complaints
with opaque URIs, but readable URIs are highly problematic.

I was thinking about things like:
- "cool" URIs - hash? or no?
- PURLs v. agency domains
- what should the URI resolve to?