EAD March 2012

Re: Linking to external sources

Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:33:12 +0000

Hi Deena -

We're pretty hesitant to do this for exactly the reason you describe, and as a general rule we don't.  If you choose to, some sort of automated link-checker would be in order -- run it once a month or so to identify dead links.  If we had something like that, I might consider being more liberal with <extref>.  Maybe it's time to investigate that again...

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deena Schwimmer
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Linking to external sources

I would like to know what others do as far as encoding links to external sources in your EADs.  I have mostly thought about this with regards to linking to other institutions' finding aids in <relatedmaterial>, but this could also apply to <bibliography>, <bioghist>, and probably other places.

I previously decided against encoding links I don't have control over, regardless of how authoritative or stable they seem to be, so that I'm not then forced to make sure they don't become broken, but with the proliferation of digitized resources, I thought I'd revisit and see what others are doing.

Thanks!

Deena M. Schwimmer, Archivist
Yeshiva University Archives
mail:  500 W. 185th St. / New York, NY 10033 / interoffice: MGL - 602
email: [log in to unmask] / phone: (212) 960-5451 / fax: (212) 960-0066