ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Slow Reel-to-reels

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:43:45 -0400

Hi, Mark,

It's all about bandwidth conservation and mapping.

The last 15/32 in/s tapes I did were FM seismic tapes and it was most
convenient to run them at 60 in/s into 48 ks/s A-D converters. That gave
us 375 s/s real time and that was still more than what was needed.
Seismic recordings are generally made at 100 s/s or with the sensors on
these, 50 s/s. So, I decimated the 375 s/s by a factor of 7.5 to get the
50 s/s files for the client. Since I saw data above the 25 Hz cutoff of
the 50 s/s files, I urged the client to also archive the 375 s/s
files...and they are.

The 5 kHz low pass on the FM demod effectively limited the HF response
to 78 Hz, but that was more than 25 or less.

As I said, you need to understand the recorded bandwidth and map that
into a reproducing system.

I've found 96/24 at 7.5 in/s is adequate for 15/32 logging tapes. If you
start with 40 kHz bandwidth and take that down 16 X you end up with 2500
Hz bandwidth which is probably optimistic for most 15/32 logging tapes.
Comms channels are brick walled at 3000 or 3200 Hz.

Cheers,

Richard