ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Assistance needed tracking down old Detroit Times article

Leo Gillis <[log in to unmask]>

Leo Gillis <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:24:34 -0700

I checked the microfilm of the Detroit Times issues near the date of 3-19-58 and did not find the photograph you describe. Frank Gill was the music writer for the Times back then. He did have a review of the concert season finale on 3-21-58, and also an article on 3-23-58 featuring Paul Paray and his wife. The point of the article was to say that the conductor was about to go on vacation. It mentions that the concert season had concluded, and that the following day, March 24, Mr. Paray would complete his recordings for Mercury, (which corroborates the dates you mentioned), and then be free to take a vacation.

I suspect your photo was taken for this article, but never used. The piece was a single page in the Sunday supplement section called "The Tempo of the Times", and had a large picture of Paray and his wife (credited only to the 'Detroit Times'). Perhaps the piece was going to be longer and allow for another photo, but was edited due to space limitations. Savage was probably the photographer, but I can't be certain of that.

Interestingly, in the same issue of 3-23-58, there is a half page article with the headline 'stereophonic recordings now available' in the marketplace :-) No mention of the DSO, just the latest gizmos from Westrex, etc.

I was unable to make a photocopy of the pieces, as the printer was not functioning on the microfilm scanner I used, but if absolutely necessary, I could return some time and try another machine. I hope this information is of some use to you.

-- Leo J. Gillis