ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: David Hall - ARSC Past President Obit

Daniel Langan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:54:51 -0400

I had several greatly informative talks about many aspects of music and
recordings with David during his tenure at NYPL. Occasionally our
conversations would end with him asking "Well, Dan, when are we going to get
your collection?" I would reply "When it's complete."

It still isn't.

David and some of his colleagues in those years -- Paul Myers (sp?) for one
-- always were genial and made certain I and others would get what we
needed.

I also recall walking out of the library onto the "campus" one cold day and
encountering the head of the recording division who asked why I was leaving
so early and without my briefcase. When I explained that I was just taking a
smoke break he said "Come up to my office and we'll have one together. Feel
free to use it anytime, even if I'm not around. I'll tell my staff."

Those were the days . . . and they were The Days when Giants like David were
among us.

Dan Langan