ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Nuveau Vinylistas -- has record collecting jumped the shark?

Cary Ginell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:02:16 -0700

From what I've seen in local record stores, the vinyl fetish is limited to contemporary rock/hip-hop groups and reissues of classic '50s and '60s jazz LPs (sanctioned ones on major labels like Blute Note and Riverside). I don't think many of those who purchase these items have that much interest in digging as deeply as we have into the history of recordings.

I have seen nothing in the way of new compilations of material on vinyl or reissues of classic jazz, Broadway, country, or even generic pop. The Record Store Day releases, aside from the occasional "novelty" issue of something on 78 (the Beach Boys' 78 of "Good Vibrations" last year comes to mind), are still of little interest to ARSCers - at least from a West Coast perspective.

Cary Ginell