ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Oceanic Records/Everest

Mark Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:21:00 +0900

Al,

The rights to the Everest catalogue, the logos, trademarks, and all classical recordings (and many of the pop recordings) are owned (now) by BMG Rights Management (NOT Sony BMG, but the Berlin-based music publisher), as part of a purchase of the LA-based music publisher Bug Music, which had purchased Countdown Media in June 2011, which included the recorded assets of the Everest catalogue.

Even though original masters of the these recordings do not exist in some cases (we have DATs and first generation LP copies), we do have most of the 35mm original masters, most of the 3-channel 1/2" tapes, and many of the tapes from recordings by ensembles such as the Fine Arts Quartet.  We're in the process of digitizing EVERYTHING in the catalogue (it's obviously a multi-year process) and making it available digitally through a variety of services (including HD tracks, iTunes, Amazon, etc.), as well as Amazon's Disc-on-Demand service.  Currently, we're in the midst of remastering the remaining 35mm recording not issued by Classic Records (who were a licensee of ours), and making these available in pristine 24/96 (or 24/192) versions, including the Copland 3rd Symphony, the Ferde Grofe recording of the Grand Canyon Suite/Grofe Piano Concerto, and more.

If anyone would like to be notified as new titles are released on any of these imprints, please email me offlist at [log in to unmask], and we'll keep you updated.

Mark Jenkins
Countdown Media

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alan Lesitsky
Sent: April-05-12 11:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Oceanic Records

May I add my thanks, with a question?

Does anyone know to whom the rights to this catalog now belongs?
I believe the Everest stereo masters resided briefly at Vanguard where they received their best-sounding CD releases. When Vanguard was sold to Artemis the Everest recordings were not included.

I believe a British firm has issued some of the Everest stereo masters, but I don't know anything about their qaulity. It's the early stuff I'm wondering about. I hope they are not owned by a landfill.

Al Lesitsky