ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Useful - good starting point for pre-RIAA grooved disk playback

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:27:31 -0400

None of them except the McIntosh and maybe that Heathkit mono preamp have the ability to dial in all
the pre-RIAA LP curves that were being used. There were at least 10 different curves, if memory
serves me correctly. I think some of the British higher-end preamps also had the ability to dial in
many combos of turnover and rolloff.

Typical US preamps and integrated amps of the late mono and early stereo eras had facilities for
RIAA phono, perhaps a high-impedence tape head (NAB EQ) and usually a way to interally wire another
phono setting, or on-board AES or 78-era RCA Orthophonic. Usualy a setting for "78" meant
Orthophonic, although some were AES. RIAA is RCA's New Orthophonic curve, which pretty much all
record companies switched to starting in 1954 (there were a few outliers, but we're not talking a
large number of records made after 1955).

-- Tom Fine