ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: Movie sound ( was Re: [ARSCLIST] "Life" IN recordings (or lack thereof),

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Apr 2012 07:26:37 -0400

Hi, Randy,

I do recall an article about the making of "The Sound of Music" in, I
think, "American Cinematographer" or some such magazine which indicated
that the musical numbers were played back. My recollection was there was
a devil of an issue with the large-scale dance number in the woods and
there were multiple speakers all playing back together (with no delay)
so that everyone was "in time", no matter how far away from the camera
they were.

If I further recall this correctly, the little battery-operated Nagra
speakers of the era were used.

As to your other question about equalization, I do recall the need for
an "Academy EQ" on playback in screening rooms, but I did not keep
extensive notes on it as it was handled by other people where I worked
and I was only involved in one or two screening rooms that required
that. I don't know if digging deeper on that phrase might help you in
your search. I do not recall a reference to mag stock in IASA TC04...not
saying it's not there, just that I don't recall it.
http://www.iasa-web.org/tc04/audio-preservation

Cheers,

Richard