ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

Re: "Life" IN recordings (or lack thereof), (was EMI, opera and 35mm?)

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:23:08 -0400

On 2012-04-26 9:46 AM, Bob Olhsson wrote:
> It was recorded using a separate machine that was often located in a central
> building on the lot but very much at the same time. When I was working in
> film during the '90s I was told dialogue replacement in the original
> language is a recent development having to do with the introduction of very
> portable cameras and a declining number of sufficiently quiet production
> locations.
Hi, Bob,

When I was studying media/communications at St. John's University in NYC
in the early 1970s, we went to many NYC media venues. I can't, for the
life of me, remember the name of the mixing stage we went to in
Manhattan. I recall it on the East Side but would have to guess as to
what streets...midtown-ish is the best I can do (34th to 72nd).

At this mixing stage we got to see ADR being done. Over and over and over...

I am not certain what the production was...it might have been a
documentary, which was what we saw being mixed if I recall correctly, or
it might have been an ADR session even for a commercial. I was more
interested in the process than the content, but it seemed the norm at
that facility even in the early 1970s.
> I recently saw a number of very early sound pictures and was floored by how
> little has actually changed in the way movie sound is done. It was almost
> all invented within a very few years.
I have the 1938 second printing of "Motion Picture Sound Engineering...A
series of Lectures presented to the classes enrolled in the courses in
Sound Engineering given by the Research Council of the Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences, Hollywood, California" New York, D. Can
Nostrand Company, Inc. 1938.

This book as been made available by AMPAS and the Audio Engineering
Society links to it and other resources at http://www.aes.org/aeshc/
The direct link is
http://www.oscars.org/academy/posters-books/books/pdf/mpse.pdf It is 40 MB

When I toured Hollywood sound stages in the 1980s and 90s, I did see a
LOT of Foley and some ADR going on.

http://filmsound.org/terminology/adr.htm

Cheers,

Richard