ARSCLIST  April 2012

ARSCLIST April 2012

analog vs digital eq

Doug Pomeroy <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:10:59 -0400

Parker,

The point, made originally by British engineer Sean Davies, was that
without any high end roll off, the record level would need to be lowered
somewhat to avoid clipping at the time of A/D conversion: "There may
be a bit penalty to allow for headroom in the A/D conversion.  For
instance,
taking the RIAA curve there is a lift of nearly 20 dB at 20 kHz so
that the
transfer level would have to be reduced by this amount which implies the
loss of 4 bits compared with analog equalization."  With 78 rpm discs he
states: "the bit penalty for a constant velocity above 250 Hz curve
would
be 2 to 3 bits."  His AES preprint is Convention Paper 5534, (2002).

A reply to Davies is found in AES Convention Paper 7185 (2007), by
R.S. Robinson of the Channel D Corporation, which advocates flat
transfers and EQ in the digital domain.

Gary Galo gave a talk at the 2009 ARSC Conference: "Phase Equalization
and Its Importance in the Playback of Disc Records", which may be
heard via the web site.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
Transfers of metal parts, lacquers,