PCCLIST April 2012

Re: Alternates for the RDA conversion

"Moore, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:42:10 +0100

Mary Charles

You make an interesting observation about the deletion of authority
records. We get a regular report from our system of authority records
that have been deleted by LC, so that we can check if we need to update
any bibliographic records. I've noticed on a number of occasions that
authority records have been deleted, where no duplicate existed, and we
had used the heading in our database. We've had to recreate these
authorities records. I've not noticed, however, that they were pre-AACR2
headings. Could someone from LC confirm whether they have been deleting
authority records where no duplicate exists, and if so, would it be
possible to stop doing it, please? ;-)

Regards
Richard
_________________________
Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager
The British Library

Tel.: +44 (0)1937 546806
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lasater, Mary Charles
Sent: 23 April 2012 13:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Alternates for the RDA conversion

All,

I also have limits on the number of authority records that I load each
day. With a linked system it is hard to estimate how a given load will
affect the system since a change to one authority record, linked to many
bibliographic records, can and did bring the whole system down.

On another note, it appears that authority records that are not AACR2 or
compatible are being deleted. I notified LC about one last year and was
told it wasn't current cataloging, so the authority record was deleted.
I have just 'reinstated' locally some authority records for pre-AACR2
headings... things that would not be established now.  I cannot
re-catalog to AACR2 all those titles and think it is counter-productive
for these authority records, which represent standard cataloging of the
time, to be deleted. The 'unsuitable note' should be added to these
instead. A 'pure' RDA authority file  is probably an inappropriate goal.

Mary Charles Lasater
Vanderbilt