BIBFRAME May 2012

Re: RDA, DBMS and RDF

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 May 2012 11:33:50 -0700

Take a look at the VIAF examples that Thom gave us. It isn't:

Beowulf ==>  has expression ==>  Beowulf. Greek

But

Work:
   has title: Beowulf
   has other stuff.... (authors, format, etc.)
   Linked expression:
       has language: Greek

It's not like headings at all, it's done with the structure and the
relationships. Expressions do not contain a work title, only titles
contain a work title. So "Beowulf. Greek" is a combination of data from
a FRBR Work entity and a FRBR Expression entity. It might be displayed
like that, but the string "Beowulf. Greek" cannot exist within the data,
at least in my reading of FRBR.

kc