BIBFRAME May 2012

Re: "RDA Worldwide" at ALA Annual

Bernhard Eversberg <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 May 2012 09:04:56 +0200

29.05.2012 15:40, Miller, David:

> Resource Description and Access (RDA), the new guidelines for library
>  cataloging and metadata creation, is intended for use in an
> international context. RDA is also very much a work in progress. To
> what extent has RDA succeeded in going beyond AACR2's Anglo-American
> context? How is implementation now proceeding in different world
> regions, and what are the potential impacts on developments in the
> United States?

Implementation in Germany, more precisely at the National Library
in Frankfurt and Leipzig, as it appears from their own statements, is
proceeding faster than in the US: By mid 2013, it's scheduled to happen.
Here's a more detailed statement (in German):

https://wiki.d-nb.de/download/attachments/56524806/Festlegungen_Projekt_RDAx.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1334565326000
It transpired that a first draft of a German RDA translation exists.
For reasons unknown to me, no one outside very small circles has
yet been able to read it.

The German version, that much is known, will go beyond AACR2's Anglo-
American context. It will use German as its working language:

- We used to have the form of name preferred by the person or body as
   our preferred form in the catalog. That was understood as conforming
   to Paris principles. Now, it is going to be the German spelling of
   the name, if one such form has come into use and the person or body
   is thus known by it in Germany.

- We used to reuse verbal phrases in notes, collation statements and
   other descriptive elements as found in foreign cataloging sources.
   Rules will now require such notes and phrases to be rendered in
   German.

The first may be alleviated by extensive use and integration of VIAF
into cataloging and catalog use. The second will have to be lived with.

But OK, after all, we'll still be primarily serving German clientele,
will we not? And RDA is meant for the convenience of the catalog user.

German academic clientele by now, on the other hand, are mostly
required or expected to read and publish in English.

German general public is exposed to ever more English in all the
walks of life, and complaints are subsiding and have achieved not
much anyway, but as of now, when among their equals and after work,
they still speak German.

And by the way, the German version will be aiming at Scenario 1, in
line with tradition. Esp., there will be - as it always was - separate
records for the parts of a multipart publication (IOW, a full
implementation of the part->whole relationship). This seems to
clearly go beyond AACR2 Anglo-American context. But we always did that
even when RDA meant and thus don't want to fall behind legacy practice.
What the potential impact of this may be in the United States will be
of particular interest to us. (I take it from the statement cited
above that otherwise - i.e. in the case of no impact - the reverse
impact may be not unlikely. )

These are my own observations, based on published facts and statements
made in public.
No disclosures of any kind of confidential material to which I have no
access anyway.

B.Eversberg