BIBFRAME May 2012

Re: "RDA Worldwide" at ALA Annual

Michael Hopwood <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 May 2012 14:22:34 +0100

Karen, Bernard,

Thanks for the FRBR discussion page, I'm going to read up more on this with interest!

I'm glad to see there's a FRBRoo section there - in my opinion, with my "qualified librarian hat" on, I think the best direction for interoperability of any sort is there. To make FRBR work at scale and across catalogues I think you need to move to event-based models.

Cheers,

Michael Hopwood

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: 31 May 2012 14:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] "RDA Worldwide" at ALA Annual

Bernard, the question of the "scenarios" is a deep one. There are also questions about how FRBR will be implemented. I have a wiki page that gathers various discussions of this, plus links to a number of different (and some very different from others) interpretations of the FRBR model:

http://futurelib.pbworks.com/w/page/48221836/FRBR%20Models%20Discussion

Interoperability between those who "FRBR-ize" their data and those who do not is a big issue, especially because few outside of the library community are thinking about FRBR as their bibliographic model at all.
This is one of the areas that needs to be considered: how will FRBR and non-FRBR data interoperate? How would you link standard ISBD or AACR cataloging to descriptions using FRBR? How will you link a classic academic citation to FRBR-ized library data?

BTW, I recently blogged about the National Library of Spain's implementation of their bibliographic data using FRBR concepts but also using ISBD in the Manifestation area. In in the visualization linked there I get a hint of whole/part relationships but didn't explore those in depth. I will try to go back and see how they handled that.

http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2012/05/frbr-frad-isbd-in-ld-by-bne.html

kc

--
Karen Coyle