BIBFRAME May 2012

Re: RDA, DBMS and RDF

"Myers, John F." <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 May 2012 17:54:41 +0000

Karen, thank you for the blog post and clarifying this issue.  I suspect that the heart of the matter is all too often libraries' and librarians' mindset is in terms of bibliographic records, where databases and RDF are about data.  Contrastingly, where names are concerned, we have been focused on headings and heading construction rather than records composed of authority data.

The change from AACR2's heading focus to RDA's authority data focus was one of the more problematic transitions in drafting RDA.  I am still not convinced that we have the results in the ballpark.  I see heading construction as a means for constructing a blended alpha-numeric "control number" in a scenario 3 implementation.  That is not quite the perspective that RDA conveys.  And unfortunately, most of us are still in scenario 3 situations, which encompass not just card catalogs but also most ILSes lacking intrinsic links between the authority file and the headings in the bibliographic records.  OCLC, with its controlled headings (when they are controlled), is an instance of scenario 2 but those linkages are typically lost when the record is downloaded into the local ILS.  I don't see us moving as an industry to scenario 2 or 1 until a) such linkages are portable from utility to local ILS and b) suffrage in creating authority records is as distributed as it currently is for bibliographic records (and there I go again, falling into the "record" mindset).  Until then, we are going to be stuck relying on the actual heading strings as the linkages.

We have more work to do (once we can decide what work it is we need to do).  Thank you for highlighting some of the terrain we must navigate.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308