Re: Unique private recordings

DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 May 2012 22:37:37 -0700

text/plain

This is a great discussion!  The intelligent input from so many contributors such as Tom Fine, Jon Samuels, Michael Biel and all the others makes excellent cases for both sides of the argument.  But one thing is clear - that there is going to be no universally accepted conclusion, hence, all such material must be protected from destruction by its guardians, whether they have any right to the material or not.  If I can paraphrase one of the contributors, (I think it was Tom Fine), "What gives you the right to destroy this material?".

The examples of Brahms' destroyed scores and, I believe, Paul Dukas' lost music comes to mind.  These men along with several others took definitive steps to insure that their material would never see the light of day and it is gone forever.  On the other hand, Sibelius' "Kullervo Symphony" was withdrawn after its first performance, never authorized for further performances as long as he lived, but after his death it was recorded and performed several times - it's a great work, (IMHO), and thank heavens we still have it.  But if a researcher were to find, say, J. S. Bach's St. Luke Passion, or St. Mark Passion and there was a note on it from Bach saying "to be destroyed", (or whatever the German equivalent is), would it be morally responsible to follow that order?  I don't know of any of Bach's descendants who is still with us today, (although there was one in Alberta several years ago), but I'm sure any musicologist or family member would want that
 material protected.

The case of Sergiu Celibidache was mentioned in a previous posting.  His is an interesting situation.  Celibidache made it quite clear that he didn't believe in recordings because a recording only carried the sound of an event, not all of the other sensory elements that are part of a performance.  His famous analogy was that listening to a recording is like going to bed with a picture of Bridgett Bardot.  Well, in my opinion, he was wrong.  If anything, it would be like Bridgett Bardot's husband going to bed with such a picture.  For Celibidache himself, a musical performance was experienced on many levels;  he was famous for his flawless memory and he considered each note in the context of every other note in the piece as it was performed at that time.  He was once invited to the control room after a performance where the producer demonstrated that he was able to remove a horn slip and replace it with a previous performance's passage.
  Celibidache was outraged;  he said that every note of the performance was moulded around every other note, including the mistake.  This couldn't be entirely true because you couldn't perform every note before the mistake in anticipation of the mistake.  (I'm depending on my memory of what I read many years ago so I may not have every detail correct.)  But there are two things which must be mentioned about Celibidache - first of all, while the performance may have been an omni-sensory experience for him, for the vast majority of his audience and all of his on-air listeners, it was only a sonic experience.  Whatever emotional stimulus his performances might generate would be generated by hearing the recording, (indeed most if not all of his performances were not broadcast live anyway, at least in North America).  The second thing is that after his death, his heirs, the custodians of his recordings, decided to release a significant number of them
 commercially - totally against Celibidache's wishes.  Were they right to do so?  Well I'm certainly glad that they did!  Their reasoning was that there were so many bad pirate transfers of his performances out there anyway and if his reputation was to live on, it should do so with the finest transfers possible from original sources.  They did not do this for personal gain, I understand that all the profits went to charities.

As has been pointed out in other postings, the artist is not always the best judge of what should be released.  I once read a book on Toscanini, evaluating his performances, (I think it was by Marsh), and it is quite clear that the Maestro authorized all of the wrong recordings.  The author had access to all of the un-authorized material and almost invariably, every performance he listened to was "superior to commercially released versions".  I, of course, have never heard this protected material so I can't agree or disagree.

I have a recording by Dizzy Gillespie which I know is the only copy - I recorded it myself, supposedly for broadcast but, in fact, it was never broadcast.  While I could not use it for any personal profit, or make it public in any way, I'm glad I have it and I certainly feel no moral obligation to destroy it, (mind you it's on a long obsolete digital format and may well self destruct at some point anyway).

db