ARSCLIST  August 2012

ARSCLIST August 2012

Re: Acoustic phonograph manufactuers- was Aeolian-Vocalion discography

Ryan Barna <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:03:59 -0400

Hi Steve, In response to your message from the 5th, I can tell you that prior to 1920, Aeolian patented seven of their most basic phonograph model designs. Prior to 1915 they copyrighted more than 20 illustrations of their premium Art Vocalion line. On November 24, 1917 the Music Trade Review announced that Aeolian was adding 16 more period-style Art Vocalions to their line. Between 1910 and 1925 they were granted a total of 74 (invention) patents relating to either phonographs, or records. While I would love to include a section illustrating every Vocalion model prior to 1920, I still haven't been able to find illustrations of every one of them. I still haven't read and organized all of my printouts and copies on Aeolian's entrance into the phonograph business, but I'm guessing there could be a good chance they manufactured their own phonographs, probably at their Meriden, Connecticut plant. I will definitely make a note if I find any exceptions. -Ryan