ARSCLIST  August 2012

ARSCLIST August 2012

Re: Man of La Mancha CD release -- I've changed my mind

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:46:33 -0400

Thank you very much, Dr. G. That is most interesting.

Interestingly, what I found was that the first CD issue of the OBC on CD
sounded nothing like the LP. There was reverb and compression on the LP
and there was little (if any) of either on the first CD. Once I added
compression and room simulation to the first CD it sounded much more
like the LP without the flaws and loss of highs in the LP. I did change
the EQ slightly--a very wide bump up about 2 dB at 300 Hz for warmth and
shelf rolloff of about 2 dB above a couple of kHz.

I am happy without giving MCA more of my money. I'm quite frankly
annoyed at the number of CDs that were sold and then resold as
"remastered". I don't enjoy the business model of "sell 'em junk they'll
never know the difference...ooops, they do know the difference, well
let's sell 'em something new that's better and was really what we should
have issued in the first place."

On at least one "remastered" CD, Joan Baez's "David's Album", the
original CD and the "remastered" one, on a song-by-song basis, is the
same at least for the two or three songs I tried. I mean the same in
that I can flip the phase on one of them and null it against the other.
The only thing that changed was the location of the track marks, so I
had to realign the time base for each song that I tried. They were not
new transfers because the likelihood of the two aligning time-wise over
the length of a song is slim. By the way, trying to null the LP and the
CD is quite interesting as the eccentricity of the LP becomes the
dominant variation, but it never nulls anywhere like the two CDs.

The LP and most of the Vanguard CDs capture the warmth of the original
recordings, but in the case of "David's Album" the CD is tinny and
narrow-band compared to the LP.

Again, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Richard