ARSCLIST  September 2012

ARSCLIST September 2012

Re: Apogee Quartet and digital-to-digital converters

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:47:04 -0400

Hi, Henry,

A few thoughts in line, below...

On 2012-09-11 5:05 PM, Henry Borchers wrote:
> Thank you Richard and Matthew. We are currently in the very early stages
> but we are hitting the ground running.  In fact, we have just got our room
> painted so we can actually start setting up the racks and equipment we
> already have tomorrow. It's actually really exciting.
Yes, that is the exciting part before years of drudgery <smile>.

> Matthew, we might look into DDS drives when we ramp up our production
> later. Most digitization will be done by trained students, so anything
> that makes this process easier is very useful. Richard, I have done
> transfers in parallel at other facilities and we might implement it later
> into our workflow as we increase our facility but right now we do not plan
> on doing much in parallel. (I'm just curious but would it be theoretically
> possible to do parallel DAT transfers over S/PDIF if they were slaved to a
> master word clock?).
Yes, that would be possible, but inexpensive (but good) DAT machines may
not lock to WC during playback.

> S-MUX is interesting to me personally as a hobbyist recording musician who
> spends too much of my own money on audio equipment but I do not see much
> use in it for our collections at the university. We do not have any
> digital recordings that exceed standard DAT and ADAT 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.
> I'm just wondering if I used the Alesis ADAT AI-1 that we have laying
> around to convert the S/PDIF from a single DAT to 2 channels of ADAT
> Lightpipe, would I be losing something or introducing aliasing during the
> conversion. I have used AES/EBU and S/PDIF quite a bit but I personally
> own nothing with ADAT Lightpipe on it nor have I worked with it anywhere,
> so I cannot speak from first hand experience.
I don't know about the AI-1, so I can't help there, but S-Mux is a way
of putting four 96 ks/s signals on a lightpipe connection which was
intended for eight 48 ks/s signals (or 88.2 vs 44.1).

One thing I would be very sure of is if all the equipment in the chain
can pass through 24 bits. The ADAT XT20 is a 20-bit machine and I don't
think it knows about 24 bits. Most of this S-mux stuff is older (other
than the implementations in current interfaces). My major use of
lightpipe at the moment is to run four signals from one RME Multiface II
to the other. Since you can't mix between units, I bring in some
monitoring signals from the high-channel unit to the low-channel unit
(they are also sync'd by WC) so I can monitor at least four separate feeds.

Cheers,

Richard