ARSCLIST  September 2012

ARSCLIST September 2012

Re: early stereophony

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:27:39 -0400

Tom,

You should investigate the work of André Charlin. He worked on a system
parallel to the tryptich sequences in Abel Gance's "Napoléon" for a 1932 or
'33 reissue of the film, achieving
sterephonic sound of a kind. I have asked Kevin Brownlow if any of these
sound elements survived, and he didn't think so. However, Charlin also
worked with early stereo systems from
at least 1955 and maybe earlier. Some of his work -- operettas with René
Leibowitz, a J. C. Bach "Dies Irae," some 1950s recordings of Darius
Milhaud conducting that later came out
on Nonesuch -- is really pretty spectacular.

http://www.svalander.se/charlin/index.html

Not really a record company project, but naturally there is Disney's
"Fantasia" and it appears 20th Century Fox began to use stereo elements for
everything starting in 1941. Some "true
stereo" recordings of Glenn Miller have gotten around, though curiously not
through 20th Century Fox, who only issued mono and fake stereo mixes of
them.

From the late 1940s there were stereo recordings circulated on open reel
tape of railroad sounds. Emory Cook, I believe, made some of these train
recordings, but he was not the only
one and may not have been the earliest. I have been on the lookout for LP
equivalents of these recordings for a long time, as I suspect some may have
resurfaced in the early stereo era.
But investigating stereo recordings circulated primarily on tape, I feel,
is the final frontier of stereophony, and possibly a very fruitful one. And
I do have something to share from that end
shortly.

There are stereo recordings of Thor Johnson and the Cincinnati Symphony
made in 1952 for Remington, initially issued in mono on LP but on stereo
tapes. Varèse Sarabande later issued some
of these on stereo LPs.

Also, maybe too late for your study, Pierre Monteux made some stereo
recordings in Rome in 1958 of Lully that are fascinating from a stereo
standpoint. I don't know what system was
used, but the record I had was on RCA Victor.

David Neal Lewis
Lebanon, OH