ARSCLIST  September 2012

ARSCLIST September 2012

Re: The Goosens Fanfares commissions

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Sep 2012 07:29:49 -0400

I've been under the weather, and I apologize for not posting sooner.

Tom, that list you linked to does not include Harrington Shortall's
"Fanfare for Those Who Will Not Return," which is one of the most
interesting and experimental pieces included in the program.
It was first given in 1942 and is included, in a 1995 recording, on a Largo
disc called "Testimonies of War" (Largo 5130).

Goossens concerts were carried on local Cincinnati radio throughout this
whole period, and I am not so sure who was the carrier then. If it was WLW
then there is some chance that recordings
could be recovered. So far, the only Goossens Cincinnati concerts I know
are of a May Festival performance of 1936 with Rosa Ponselle in one of her
last public appearances and the 1938 recordings,
also partly from the May Festival, which include fragments of a Mahler
Eighth, the earliest recordings known of that symphony. Those were made by
an amateur hobbyist and found by ARSC member
Al Schlachtmeyer in a thrift store in Arlington, VA; the Ponselle was part
of a nationwide feed, and I'm not sure what the source on those are. Ward
Marston has transferred and issued the Ponselle
on his label.

I wrote, but did not deliver, a talk on Schlactmeyer's find at the 2011
ARSC Conference. That was, to my honor, given by Tim Brooks and David
Seubert in my stead. There are commercial RCA Victor
recordings of Goossens with CiSO from 1941 and 1945. But sadly, none of the
Fanfares, as far as I know, were recorded. You would think RCA would have
been interested in the Copland, at least.

Uncle Dave Lewis
Lebanon, OH