ARSCLIST  September 2012

ARSCLIST September 2012

Re: Apogee Quartet and digital-to-digital converters

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:26:18 -0400

Hello, Henry,

For $304 more (based on the Sweetwater pricing, try Kelly's Music and
Computers as well) you can get the RME FireFace UCX.

I have the UFX and think it is fantastic. I have not used the Apogee and
cannot comment on it.

Here is the RME page for the UCX. I suspect it is between the RME
Multiface II and the Fireface UFX in quality, tending more towards the
UFX. It uses the same digital core and the same wonderful mixer app. I
have successfully used Multifaces, Multiface IIs, and now the UFX in my
audio digitization business where, among other things, I do master tapes
of albums for critical users.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ucx.php

It has 8 analog inputs, coax SPDIF, and LightPipe, all of which can be
used simultaneously--18 input channels. Using multi-track software,
parallel interfaces allow you to ingest a cassette and a reel in
parallel. In addition, the additional inputs, even if you don't use that
mode, allow sofware selection among say a reel machine, a cassette
machine, and a DAT machine (using the SPDIF for that).

Additionally, the Light Pipe connector can be converted to be the
optical SPDIF input (but you do NOT get two SPDIF inputs at that point,
I don't think, but I'm not certain. The block diagram implies that you
might, but I don't think so.).

Light Pipe is an Alesis standard that was developed for the ADAT and has
been widely adopted. It allows for 8 channels at 44.1/48 or 4 channels
at 96/24 (using S-Mux, built into the RMEs). It is not the same as SPDIF
which is stereo (and I think can run up to at least 96/24 though none of
the devices that I have other than the RMEs work at those speeds).

The downside is analog inputs 1-4 are on the front panel, with 1/2 being
mic/line inputs and 3/4 being instrument inputs. However, the instrument
inputs are great if you can mount it near a Nakamichi Dragon for
cassettes. There are only four balanced pro line inputs.

I would caution copying anything in parallel with DATs however, because
with a DAT you are clocking from the DAT, not the ultra-stable internal
reference, and any perturbation in the DAT clock might impact the other
analog inputs. The good news, however, is that unlike some other brands,
if you lose the SPDIF reference, the RME products fail over to the
internal clock in a pretty seamless manner. That way, you don't have to
change clock source as you switch the DAT on and off.

The block diagram is on page 97 of the manual available here
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ucx_e.pdf

Cheers,

Richard