ARSCLIST  September 2012

ARSCLIST September 2012

Re: early stereophony

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:20:15 -0400

Dear Mr. Culpa,

Thanks for the info.  It reinforces what my ears told me about Columbi's
stereo pressings, even the 6-eyes.  Espcially the imprecise bass.  I always
thought it was a consistant error in the schematic of something in the
cutting chain used throughout the company.  You imply it was part of the
plan. Notioe the small "p" in plan.

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dennis Rooney
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] early stereophony

I never read Mike Gray's account in TAS, but here are some thoughts about
Columbia based on what I encountered doing CD reissues for Sony Classical.
Let me preface them by noting that my experience focused almost exclusively
on Masterworks division source.

By the mid fifties, Columbia manufactured an excellent Lp physically and
their mono disc mastering was unexceptionable.  However, their focus was on
mass sales, especially their Columbia Record Club which enabled them to
dominate the U.S. market. They emphasized a quality product and had
introduced the "360" phonograph in response to the burgeoning interest in
"hi-fi". Nevertheless, engineering was not at the forefront of their image.
An unwritten rule governed Columbia's disc mastering: "Make it loud, make it
present", and the product reflected it, as it had done since CBS bought the
label in 1938.

From that time, when mastering began to be done on 16-1/2" lacquers, the
assumption was always that the master would INVARIABLY be subjected to
post-production, and it continued throughout the Lp era. Whereas Mercury
pursued a very different ideal, one as close to the master as possible,
Columbia never intended the master to be anything but raw material. EQ,
reverb, gain riding and compression all contributed to the released Columbia
product from 78rpm to stereo. When I began doing CD reissues of Masterworks
material, I was encouraged to always use master generation source. Much of
it had been stored for years and often resisted discovery.
But Columbia had been careful to preserve session tapes, which meant that
enough material existed to fix problems due to wear in the edited originals.
In the case of pre-tape material, I was successful in locating original
lacquer source, a surprisingly large amount of which had survived in storage
for four decades and more in excellent condition.

Working with master material, I was pleased to discover a level of audio
quality that was far more sophisticated than what the commercial releases
suggested. Analogue tape was out of the picture by that time and careful a/d
transfers could be further improved by digital noise-reduction software and
editing. Use of CEDAR to aid in correct stylus selection before transfer
yielded a s/n quotient where the lacquers were very often quieter than the
original chain. Most tapes survived in very good condition.
Blocking was almost never encountered and the mostly 3M type 111 and
Audiotape that had been used had survived extremely well. Binder hydrolysis
wasn't a factor until Ampex tapes began to be used in the eighties.

Goddard Lieberson was immensely influential in the story of Columbia
Masterworks but he was a producer who had faith in his engineers and they
achieved the results you hear. Producers and engineers were not named on
Columbia records for many years. The brand was the focus. Howard Scott was a
principal producer of Masterworks recordings throughout the fifties. He
recorded in New York with Fred Plaut (they did Glenn Gould, Isaac Stern, the
NY Phil., etc.), and in Philadelphia and Cleveland, with a road crew that
usually comprised Harold Chapman ("Chappy") and later Buddy Graham as
balance engineers. and Ajutor {"Pappy"} Theroux as tape operator. Chappy was
probably the only engineer Columbia had who truly understood stereophony.
His setups have a cohensiveness that suggests a superior ability to place
microphones. Pappy was a veteran who had been around a long time but not, I
think, in the acoustic era. He arrived in advance of the sessions to set up
and test the lathes and then the tape recorders.

If they were not on the cutting edge of stereophony, those men all were
careful craftsman and the studio practices they pursued made Columbia a very
well run shop. It was easy for me to fix a bad splice in SONIC but knowing
how they often had achieved success with limited means gave new respect to
their "old-fashioned" ways.

The reason Szell went to Epic was only partially to not dilute Ormandy's
sales. Epic had been created to release the Philips recordings that were
available when Columbia ended its exchange agreement with EMI in 1952.
Philips, a relative newcomer, wanted a U.S. presence. But Willem van
Otterloo, Eugen Jochum and Eduard van Beinum had little or no U.S.
identity. It was decided that the label needed a major orchestra and
conductor at the top of the roster and Szell was chosen. When Bernstein
began to make headway against Ormandy on Columbia, the wisdom of that
decision was plain.

As I believe I wrote earlier, Columbia was resistant to stereo. Plaut
particularly doubted that stereo discs would be an important part of the
label's sales. 1/4-in two track stereo recordings began in the Masterworks
Division with Berstein's MESSIAH in Dec. 1956. Columbia finally got a
three-channel 1/2-in. Ampex machine, just one at first, in summer 1957.
Afterwards, sessions were often recorded in mono (a&b sets), 2-channel
stereo (or binaural, c&d sets) and one 3-channel with a different mix than
the binaurual. As soon as more three-track machines arrived, the 1/4-in sets
were discontinued.

This post is longer than I originally intended. Mea culpa.

DDR

--
Dennis D. Rooney
303 W. 66th Street, 9HE