PCCLIST September 2012

Re: Guidelines for 37X fields in NARs

"Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:20:55 -0700

I think ideally, some day in the future, we would just want to record a
URI for the controlled term, which would alleviate much of the problem of
maintaining these terms (but not entirely, since as Nancy mentioned there
could be splits or mergers of terms rather than one-to-one changes).

I also wonder about the issue of recording plural forms rather than the
singular terms called for by RDA.  In RDA, singulars are needed of course
for use in additions in the personal name access points.  But there is a
proposal coming up for MARBI that deals with recording plural forms.

SAC is currently reviewing a proposal from its Subcommittee on Genre/Form
Implementation to establish a new 386 field that would be used for group
characterizations of creators and contributors of works and expressions,
and which would be used in work and expression records for compilations as
well as in personal name authority records.  Some of the group
characterizations overlap with a few RDA elements (gender; occupation) but
most others do not (ethnicity; religion; sexual orientation; social
groups; age groups; disability groups; etc.).  The new field would
specifically be intended to provide facets/indexing for group
characteristics useful for resource discovery and the terms are
recommended to be recorded in the plural form.  Assuming the proposal is
approved, it will be forwarded to LC Network Development and MARC
Standards Office to be added to the MARBI agenda at Midwinter 2013.  These
characteristics are needed because LCGFT when fully developed for music,
literature, and other areas will not include information about the
creators of works that are included now in LCSH, e.g. such terms that
include nationality, language, class of persons, etc.:

African American children's writings
Anorexia nervosa patients' writings
Air pilots' writings, Chilean
Canadian fiction $x Chinese authors
Country music $z Thailand
Deaf, Writings of the, American
Essays $x Catholic authors
French fiction $x Male authors
Gays' writings, Puerto Rican
Mexican poetry
Music by women composers

In the future, once LCGFT is fully implemented, for compilations/aggregate
works and for works named by concatenating a creator's name and a
preferred title, just the pure genre/form term (Poetry; Literature;
Country music) would be recorded in the genre/form field/element.  The
aspect that describes the kind of creators (African American; Children;
Air pilots; Canadians; Deaf; Gays; Women; etc.) would be put into the
proposed 386 field.  Since individual persons also fall into these kinds
of categories, we are proposing to allow the 386 field to be used for
personal name authority records and hopefully that will enable systems to
allow users to search, for example, for all works by all African Americans
in a given library collection, not just compilations by African Americans.

SAC is currently discussing the issue of overlap between the proposed 386
and the existing 374 and 375 fields in particular.  370 $c for associated
country is not necessarily the same as nationality, so the possible
overlap there is less; also in 370 neither singular nor plural nouns for
classes of persons are used.

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries