ARSCLIST October 2012

Re: Analog to digital dBFS standards

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:55:27 -0400

On 2012-10-19 3:23 PM, Don Cox wrote:
> On 19/10/2012, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>
>> For my most recent concert (last Saturday), I'm doing the manual
>> tweaks to the 96 kHz and 44.1 kHz files where the entire symphony
>> (Beethoven's 7th) was normalized as a whole (and kept a hair below the
>> "Russian Easter Festival Overture"). The Franz Strauss Horn Concerto
>> was raised a bit more than the Russian Easter Festival Overture, but
>> the former is still not as loud as the latter.
> So if I was listening to the recording, the horn concerto would sound a
> bit distant.

I'm sorry if I was not clear.

I raised the Overture about 2 dB. I raised the Horn concerto perhaps 4
dB, but it was still lower by a small amount than the peaks in the Overture.

So, no, the horn concerto would be louder relatively than when you were
there listening.

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask]