ARSCLIST  October 2012

ARSCLIST October 2012

Re: Key patent numbers

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:01:46 -0400

Hi Patrick:

This is awesome and all-encompassing, but has anyone filtered out the "key" patents and made a list?
These lists seem more about completism than showing the progress of patented developments toward the
current state of the art. Just off the top of my head, I'd like to know the key developments, not
dead ends for:

--Edison
--Bell/Taintor
--Berliner
--Bell Labs/Western Electric
--RCA
--Blumlein
--German patents on magnetic tape and tape recording?
--Ampex patents on video tape recording (this will be significant when digital comes along since all
early digital systems except Soundstream used video tape as the storage medium)
--I believe there is an American patent on an optical PCM system, which Philips/Sony ended up
licensing. The man spoke at the PNW AES section a few years ago
--Also home reproduction patents like by Hafler and Klipsch
--I think there were some loudpseaker patents granted MGM and Lansing folks, but their work might
proceed from Bell Labs and/or RCA patents

Bottom line, I think it would be really neat to see a timeline of used/usable audio developments
with matching patents where applicable.

-- Tom Fine