ARSCLIST  October 2012

ARSCLIST October 2012

Re: Early electrical disk recording

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:38:09 -0700

Of course Rainbow also issued Special.  I have Russell H. Conwell on
Special as well as his record on Rainbow (I'm a Temple Univ alum).  I
also have a real custom recording on a single-sided Special.  I find it
interesting that you say Homer was dissatisfied with how Victor wasn't
doing sacred since they issued that big selling Billy Sunday Chorus
record which was done with portable equipment -- there's a photo of the
session in a Victor supplement -- and then Homer himself didn't do a
chorus record despite his equipment being portable.  (The Victor Billy
Sunday Chorus 1600 voices record wasn't sacred -- Sail On backed with
America.  It should be compared with the Associate Glee Clubs records
discussed earlier in this thread because it proves that acoustical mass
chorus records could be recorded!) Homer's early 1950s Rainbows were
Victor pressings -- do the prefixes indicate that Victor did the
recording or were the masters provided by customer?  I have a catalog of
these.  Was there no overlap with the tap dance Rainbow label?  I
thought they were as early as 1948.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Early electrical disk recording
From: David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, October 16, 2012 3:15 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Oh, you didn't pre-empt me at all. I wrote to Roger off-list:

Thumbnail sketch on Rainbow: It was a very early indie, begun in 1920 by
Homer Rodeheaver. He was disappointed in Victor's lack of interest in
sacred material in more depth and
wanted to record personalities and performers known to him through his
work
in the Billy Sunday Crusades and the Chautauqua circuit. Nothing is
known
of his equipment except that
it was acoustic, and at first, somewhat portable; he flew it around in a
small plane until establishing it, in late 1921, in an office building
on
Wabash Ave. in Chicago.
About the same time, Rodeheaver developed a working relationship with
Gennett and used their facilities to help make his Rainbow Records, many
of
which they also released. Through
Gennett, and possibly other channels, Rainbows also turn up on
Paramount,
Herwin, Puritan and Silvertone. To help keep his operation going, Homer
also made non-sacred records with
his system, and took on some work for Marsh Labs, in the office next
door
in the same building as his, when they needed acoustic titles; Marsh had
an
experimental electical system. Some
of the first electrical records released in this country appeared on
Rainbow, but were not identified as such. Rodeheaver closed Rainbow in
1926
shortly after he returned to recording for
the majors.
While Rainbow achieved some 150 numbered issues, the number of masters
issued is closer to 500. That's because Rodeheaver replaced many items
in
his catalogue, sometimes with
as many as five different masters, to improve his offerings without
disturbing his established number sequence. Also he ran a second label,
Special, within Rainbow and Gennett for limited
run recordings of students, singing groups and other little known
artists.
I have spent the last ten years trying to sort this all out. Just
yesterday
I discovered that Rainbow was also responsible
for some of the early releases on a label run by Southern Gospel
publisher
James D. Vaughan, called "Vaughan."
Rodeheaver restarted Rainbow in 1948, but then had closed it down again
by
1951. In 1952, Don Gabor acquired rights to the name and began issuing
Rainbow Records out of New York City,
mainly dance instruction and Latin records. During this time, Rodeheaver
issued some 45s on plain, blank labels with a rubber stamp, though the
very
last one, RB 1955 "Merry Christmas from
Homer Rodeheaver" bore a full-on Rainbow label. It was mailed out just
days
before he died on December 18, 1955.
What I love about Rainbow is the do-it-yourself aspect of the label.
Some
of the records are pretty impressive also, but most of the acoustic ones
are sub-standard in terms of sound. Nevertheless,
they deserve to be documented, and access made to what they produced.
And I
have been working on that, as I say, since about 2003. In 2007, I gave a
presentation on Homer Rodeheaver at
the ARSC Conference in Seattle.

UD