ARSCLIST  October 2012

ARSCLIST October 2012

Re: Japanese 1-CD reissue of "Riverside History of Classic Jazz"

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:17:53 -0400

BTW, Dave, the two tunes that I have from other sources:

"Big Bill Blues" by Big Bill Broonzy (other source is an Arhoolie compilation)
 and "Cake Walking Babies From Home" by the Red Onion Jazz Babies (other source is the older CD
version of the Smithsonian Jazz collection)

sound much better from the other sources. I think the Riverside compilation is just a straight
transfer from the 1950s master tapes, which were just dubs of disk playback from Grauer and Keepnews
and their collector friends. What made the Riverside collection interesting is that it was somewhat
eccentric in the tunes selected and also that it contained a bunch of very rare sides, at least very
rare in those days.

Apparently the American CD set goes back to 1987. It was written about back then in the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/18/arts/greats-of-classic-jazz-ignite-a-reissue.html?pagewanted=print

-- Tom Fine

PS -- Jimmie Lunceford Mosaic set just arrived. Good afternoon listening for a dreary NY day.