ARSCLIST  November 2012

ARSCLIST November 2012

Re: Philips-Miller stereophony

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:45:36 -0500

Tom,

I didn't reply before as I wanted to fully remember my source, but I don't.
For a time in the 1990s Gramphone published three or four numbers of a
small format
magazine which was like a paperback book called the "international record
collectors -- something." In issue No. 2 there was a complete account of
the weird
Philips-Miller system. It was used in 1939 to make a recording of Bach's
St. Matthew Passion with a relatively reputable conductor; I have no idea
who. The recording
was issued, but only in mono. Only a couple of recordings made with system
survive, and I think they are mono mixes all, but they are remarkable in
their clarity and
resolution, even in mono. And of course I am summarizing because I have
never heard them, and the magazine was something I read off the rack at
work, so I haven't
seen the article in nearly 20 years.

Uncle Dave Lewis
Lebanon, OH