ARSCLIST  November 2012

ARSCLIST November 2012

Re: Early digital recording history -- a couple of followups

Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2012 10:47:30 -0600

I worked at Criteria studios in Miami, and we had 2 of the x80 machines.
They did have an odd sample rate, but were later modified to 48khz. The
would still play back any tapes that they had made at the higher sample
rate after the modifications. Yes, I recall that the exiting process was
just as you describe. It did work well enough as long as you followed the
'rules' for the process. Digital copies of tapes could be made with special
cables between the machines, and this also allowed for digital clones of
the edited tapes that didn't then have the physical splices in them. As
long as the machines were cleaned properly and you were very careful not to
mess with the tape path, they seemed pretty reliable... but heavy as lead
to move around.

Cheers,

Scott Phillips

--