ARSCLIST  November 2012

ARSCLIST November 2012

Re: Early digital recording history -- a couple of followups

"Barton, Matthew" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:40:59 -0500

Isn't the issue really the future of high-resolution and surround sound, and not whether one gets it on a disc, from a cloud or in some other fashion? That future may be uncertain, but I don't think the news is all bad.

Quite a few SACDs have been coming out of Europe in the last few years, and the trend shows no signs of abating that I can see, so I think its reasonable to suppose that the customers for these discs will continue to be serviced with high-rez recordings in one way or another.

Some of these new SACDs are reissues, and some are just new performances of familiar repertoire, but there's also a lot of new and worthwhile music. Gunnar Idenstam, for instance, is a fine Swedish organist who's released several SACDs on BIS and other labels of an original mix of classical, choral, traditional Scandinavian and a bit of rock.

Matthew Barton
Library of Congress