ARSCLIST  November 2012

ARSCLIST November 2012

Re: Interesting history of DGG-Polydor-Polygram-Berliner Studios-SACD-etc

DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>

DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Nov 2012 01:13:31 -0800

You fellows obviously know your stuff in this area; do any of you know where "Gramola" came from?  I have Franz Schalk's recording of Beethoven's "Pastoral" on this label.  The album itself is an HMV album with a cheap looking "Gramola" label pasted over Nipper on the front cover, (the Nipper on the spine and on the inside front cover are left exposed).  The records themselves have a black label with no country of manufacture indicated and a design which looks nothing like an HMV label.  The catalog numbers are ES 443 - ES 447.

Thanks!
db