BIBFRAME November 2012

Re: BIBFRAME Puzzlements

Michael Hopwood <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:19:54 +0000

text/plain

Hello Phil, Kevin,

Now that Graham has posted the official view from EDItEUR (Thu 29/11/2012 09:34) I feel I can make a few more informal comments from my perspective as a cataloguing librarian in the commercial product data space:

1. musical sound recordings: this is an area where extensive modelling has been done to clarify the entities and relationships involved; mainly, it's true, because so many rights exist in so many ways in each of them, but also very much feeding into huge "discographic" efforts. In particular, the DDex data framework has extremely clear and in fact pretty lightweight rules for describing the essentials - see http://ddex.net/dd/ERN34-DSR40/DD/ for an overview of these. I would recommend that as a starting point, it's tried and tested, and compatibility would assist interoperability for small and large data providers in future

2. "annotations" and "items" - here I have to echo Graham's comment that "<indecs> contains an Item entity, where the draft BIBFRAME model does not. This seems an odd omission".

If I think of an ONIX product record (i.e. the "stuff" you can get if you search on the ISBN; in FRBR terms, thankfully, equivalent to the "manifestation") you can include "item" level "annotations" for different points of access to copies from e.g. publishers, wholesalers, retailers, and the terms under which you'll actually get a copy of the book (say).

This "annotation" is included in a manifestation record sort of by stealth since it's actually annotation OF items OF the manifestation, but yes, it would include *dates* for all cases of publishers, wholesalers, retailers.

Some kind of publishing date is mandatory (it applies strictly to the manifestation), the others are optional, but there is an analogy to the "Holding" resource or maybe annotation of annotation here. It will be hard to specify a relationship of the library to the manifestation without going through the item.

Cheers,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ford, Kevin
Sent: 30 November 2012 00:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME Puzzlements

Dear Phil,

Thanks for the questions.

> 1.) BIBFRAME Instances:  The document says that Instances include
> relationships to appropriate BIBFRAME Authorities related to
> publication, production, and distribution of the material resource.
> My question (like many other of mine) comes from musical sound recordings.
--  One of the early experimenters is looking specifically at how music might best be represented in the BIBFRAME model.  I don't know if that experimenter has investigated the issues you raise in any detail yet, but I would be surprised if they hadn't been looked at already.  As we mentioned, the early experimenters have agreed to share their explorations but the experimentation period is ongoing so I doubt there is anything concrete to share yet.

> 2.) Annotations: Can annotations themselves be annotated?  I'm
> assuming that if Stanford held 6 copies of an Instance that we would
> add 6 annotations, one for each instance.  If we needed to note that
> copy 6 had had preservation treatment, or was missing pages, would we
> add an annotation to the annotation for copy 6?
-- To your first question: I've wondered the same.  I've not yet thought of a really good use case to annotate an Annotation, but it is early days still.  Technically speaking, there is really nothing inhibiting such a thing presently.  As for your additional questions, instead of annotating an Annotation, it would make sense to me to model the Holding resource so that it was capable of capturing whether something had received preservation treatment or was missing pages, because the Holding resource is specific to the "held" copy in question.  An Annotation is designed to augment another resource (normally a Work, Instance, or Authority) and it seems the information you want to record is inherent to the "held" copy itself.

Your additional questions have been noted.  Many of them touch on relationships between resources which is an area with lots of questions still.  We are looking at defining the relationships that we absolutely need, because they are already supported in our data (7XXs) or because they are new/different (RDA), at LC (but only in the last few weeks).  That work will likely provide a basis for future discussions.  It might be we can identify a way to handle continuing resources with the relationships we already have and then turn to those relationships that haven't been codified, such as relationships between Instances of the same Work.

Warmly,

Kevin